Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup for the Soul

On this beautiful Sunday it is hardly the weather for chicken noodle soup but sometimes I can't help myself. I wanted to share a favorite recipe of mine that I love making for people when they are under the weather.



Chicken Noodle Soup
1 roasted whole chicken (yep, from the store, they are usually $5 and already cooked and delicious)
4 cups chicken stock (I use bouillon cubes they are cheaper and easier to have on hand than cans of chicken stock)
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup carrots
1 tablespoon minced garlic (fresh is best...)
2 tablespoons of butter (or so you may want to use more or less call me Paula Dean but butter in a pan makes things taste better)
About half a package of egg noodles
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions

Cut up all of your veggies. Melt the butter in the pan a bit then add in the veggies till they soften up. You don't need to worry about cooking them till they are soft. Just give them a little flavor in the pan with the butter.

While the veggies are softening up in a large soup pot bring your water to a boil. Once the water is boiling add in the bouillon cubes. If you are using canned chicken stock just bring that to a boil.

Once that is on a roll (aka boiling) add the veggies and noodles.

While the noodles are cooking in the broth start breaking down the chicken into yummy bite sized pieces. I usually only use about half of the chicken for one pot of soup but if you like your soup super meaty be my guest to add more. If you like less chicken use less. Then you have the other half of the chicken for another dish- enchiladas, chicken salad... the possibilities are endless!

Once the noodles are practically cooked add the chicken in to warm up and gain a little more flavor. One of the beauties of using a store bought roasted chicken is it already has delicious flavor and you didn't have to spend the time roasting it yourself!

After you have incorporated the chicken you are ready to eat! My new kick is adding red pepper flakes to my bowl, it also helps the sickies with congestion- just saying.

I hope you get a chance to make this super easy and delicious recipe. Let me know how you like it!!

~Elise


No comments:

Post a Comment