Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Girls Night!

Just last night I had a couple of lovely ladies over for an easy gathering of wine and hors d'oeuvres. I highly recommend hosting an evening like the one I just had.


I used Pingg which is a charming electronic invite system (like evite but cuter in my opinion) to invite the ladies over and keep track of the lengthy guest list (ha! there were six of us total!)

Everyone brought a bottle of wine and a dish to share- it was lovely. I made spicy BBQ meatballs (sorry no pictures- I forgot). But they were super easy. I bought frozen Trader Joe's Italian meatballs and cooked them in the Trader Joe's BBQ sauce. Done. :)

Also a plate of pita, cucumbers, zucchini, and tzatziki sauce- yummy if I say so myself.


And some delicious tomato-brie-basil-onion crustinis


To make the Crustinis:
Gather:
Sourdough bread
Tomatoes
Onion
Basil
Brie
Salt/Pepper
Olive oil
Balsamic Vinegar

Cut some sourdough bread into slices.

Cut your tomatoes, basil, and onion. I used heirloom tomatoes because I am really into them at the moment. It's not quite a love affair. Let's just say it's a crush... anyways.... put the tomatoes and onion in a small bowl. Drizzle a bit of balsamic to coat the tomatoes and onions. Salt and pepper to taste :)

Now cut the cheese. The brie that is. Don't do that other thing that references "cutting cheese" people don't usually appreciate when the cook behaves that way. I'm not a twelve year old boy I promise.

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Be careful not to burn the oil, that will just taste gross. I add oil to the pan wait a minute or so then hold my hand over the pan, if it feels hot its good to go.

Add the pieces of bread to the pan of hot olive oil. Keep your eye on these potential toasties. They will not be toasted until-OH MY GOODNESS THEY ARE ALL TOASTED PERFECTLY ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Then you will need to swoop in and save the day and save those babies from the burning oil.

Once you have removed all of the toasties from the pan start layering the cheese while they are still hot. You want the cheese to have the opportunity to melt if it wants to. Then the basil pieces. Then spoon the tomato/onion/balsamic mixture on top.

Presto! Delicious!

We also enjoyed shrimp ceviche, grilled chicken and zucchini kabobs, avocado and brie quesidillas, quinoa, and other veggies. Sooo good.

We later played Apples to Apples which is so much fun- don't you agree?


They always say the cards you collect represent you. Ahh!!! Apparently I'm Brawny, Loyal, Isolated, Dreary, and SWOLLEN!! Can you believe it?! HA!

All in all a fabulous evening spent in the company of great girls. Love girls night!!




No comments:

Post a Comment