Friday, September 16, 2011

Easy and Delicious Warm Dinner

I kinda wish I had a place like this to call home in the fall :)

The other night the Boyfriend and I pretended it was fall and I made chicken and dumplings. 
It was so easy and delicious! 

Ingredients
3 cups cooked chicken ( I use Trader's chicken tenders that defrost in no time at all and cook up super fast)
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp chicken bouillon
3 cups veggies (you can use a 16oz package of frozen veggies but I prefer fresh carrots, celery, peas, onion, corn... you get the idea)
2 cups buttermilk pancake mix
1 1/2 tbsp melted butter
2/3 cup milk
1/2 shredded cheddar cheese
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

If you already have cooked chicken forget this part- place the chicken tenders in a medium pot, season with salt and pepper and maybe some other special seasonings I used Trader's 21 Seasoning Salute, and cook the chicken.

While the chicken is cooking cut up your veggies.

Melt butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat, I used the same pan I cooked the chicken in (I removed the chicken first though!). Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add milk and broth. Simmer 5 minutes or longer, I need to simmer it for a longer period so that the sauce would thicken up in order to coat the back of a spoon.

Stir in the cooked chicken and the vegetables, coating all pieces evenly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour chicken and vegetables into a casserole dish.

In a separate bowl mix the pancake mix, butter, and milk with a fork until just combined. Fold in the cheese. You do not want to mix the dough too much or else the biscuits won't be fluffy and delicious.

Drop this biscuit dough by heaping spoonfuls onto the chicken mixture.

Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. I believe I cooked ours for a few minutes more, maybe 5.


Boyfriend and I decided that it would be a great dinner party dish because it was so easy to pull together. It probably took about 15 minutes of prep time then 30 minutes to cook. And boy did we have leftovers afterwards!



1 comment: